Library

Sunday, June 5, 2022

 How to be a Minecraft Mom?

A great question from a podcast I follow, Offline with Jon Favreau, posed during an interview with Ana Kamenetz:

"...author of "The Art of Screen Time" and NPR education report, talks with Jon about what a healthy amount of screen time looks like for our kids. She teaches Jon the leading research, talks about how the pandemic changed her understanding of screen time, and offers a road map for raising kind, thoughtful kids in an increasingly online world".

Fascinating discussion, one I often consider when I teach kids tech, as in, how can we make tech a family shared experience, rather than a specialty silo skill generationally defined that once away from the classroom, becomes an insidious attention sap. Ana says we all stereotypically understand what a "soccer mom" is, yet how do we teach parents how to say "yes" to tech for their kids that allows them to be the soccer moms of that medium? I wonder if my teaching should hew to THAT audience, more?



No comments:

Post a Comment

sepinventors@gmail.com

My photo
Charlottesville, VA, United States
I'm a freelance ed tech consultant involved with learning labs throughout the Charlottesville area. M.Ed with 10+ yrs programming experience in private industry, loving reconnecting to the fun teaching animation programming.